The Growing Humankindness Community is a sacred gathering space where our people share their journeys, find Listening Partners, and nurture the safety that helps them heal, unfold and emerge.
We’re building a small team of community facilitators who help us care for the details that make our community a warm, nurturing and cohesive space. We call these facilitators our “Brothers and Sisters of Support.” (Thank you, Therese Jornlin, for the name!)
We treasure our Brothers and Sisters of Support and what they bring. They nurture the health and vibrancy of the community. We trust them to care for these tasks with warmth, attention, integrity, and care – and we all feel the positive effects of their good work.
If you’re interested in becoming a Brother or Sister of Support for the Growing Humankindness Community, please read the guidelines and compensation below.
Here’s what we ask of our support team:
Sisters and Brothers of Support bring warmth and attention to detail to our members to create a nurturing, cohesive container for our community.
They do not serve as practitioners – there is no expectation to teach, guide, coach or help others in the community. They are warm hosts and witnesses that offer connection and support.
Here’s how they support the community in practical ways:
Welcome new people and introduce yourself
- Introduce yourself to the group. Please introduce yourself as a Sister or Brother of Support in the forum.
- Welcome people into the community and respond to their introductions in the forum/activity feed
Proactively respond to activity in the forum/activity feed
- Respond to posts and comments in the forum/activity feed
- Please pay special attention to posts that haven’t gotten responses by offering them a response so no one feels ignored and unseen
- It’s also helpful to come back around and check in on someone who posted a while ago, but who hasn’t been active recently
- Let me know about any inappropriate posts – although this almost never happens
Proactively initiate activity in the forum/activity feed to support community interaction
- Support people in their search for LPs. People often need support for listening partners. Sharing a bit about your experience with LPs can help.
- I post in the forum on a regular rhythm. Please contribute to these posts as you feel moved to do so.
- Tuesdays – a check in day
- Wednesdays – I post an inquiry question
- And on Fridays I ask folks to share their art
Ideally, this is a 6 month commitment. We know that life changes and shifts. However, it’s most supportive to us if we know you’re here for six months.
As a Brother or Sister of Support, we know people feel your care! This role is meant to be fun, and to be shared among the team. In your role as a Sister or Brother of Support, we ask for 1-2 hours of your time a week, for 4-6 hours a month.
Your role and leadership in the community
It’s our hope that you receive support and care as a member of the community – that it’s a place where you also receive.
You’ll also be more active and visible in the community, and more connected to the pulse of the community. With this deeper connection, you may become more aware of what isn’t working or have ideas on tweaks that are needed.
As a Sister or Brother of Support, I welcome your suggestions and feedback about what will make the community run better or things I may be missing.
In both of these ways – in your leadership, and in your offering feedback – you’re serving the mission of Growing Humankindness. In being a Sister or Brother of Support, it’s important that you feel comfortable serving in this way.
I check in regularly (once every few weeks) by phone or email with our facilitators to see if they need support and to answer any questions. I’m here to support you!
What we offer for this vital work:
As we’re a for profit company, legally, we’re not allowed to have volunteers serve in our company; all work must be compensated. At Growing Humankindness, our facilitators receive compensation in the form of an exchange:
- Lifetime membership in the community with all the benefits offered
- Ability to attend any other group classes when they’re offered
- And access to any of our home study programs
If you’re interested in applying to become a Sister or Brother of Support for the community, please fill out the brief application below. If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest, for your support of Growing Humankindness, and for all the ways you nurture a more connected world.
Karly and the Growing Humankindness team